What a big year 2018 has been!
New Survivor School location in Pyrmont, a new Transition Coach employed, new charity partners and so much generosity from our business partners, donors and volunteers creating always more opportunities for survivors to evolve in a safe and empowering environment:
Some of the partners who have donated/worked with us in 2018
- Leaders in heels (journals)
- Skin Factors (beauty products)
- Belgravia (swimming lessons and googles)
- Decoded (coding workshops)
- ISA (venue hire)
- Onceover Computer Services (laptop refurb/IT support)
- Kings Christian College (laptops)
- Dell (computers)
- Hornsby Ku-Rin-gai Women Shelter (blankets)
- Grill’d (alumni lunch)
- Crinitis (alumni lunch)
- Christmas in Pyrmont (money)
- Star Casino (Christmas Party//event software)
- Sukha Mukha Yoga (yoga classes)
- And all the volunteers who have donated items, sponsored outings etc.
Goods given to survivors in 2018
- 30 x outfits (business and nice dresses)
- 11 x lip pencil/lip stick
- 15 x Birthday gift bags
- 1 x Kitchen pack including set of pots and pans.
- 1 x set of swimmers
- 50 x brand new blankets
- 4 x scarves
- 2 x eye shadows
- 10 x bath and body packs
- 1 x swimming pack
- 5 x googles
- 20 x Christmas gifts
- New school location
- Employing a transition coach
- Survivors learning to swim
- Survivor still working in job from last year’s work experience
- English levels increasing
- Dressing professionally and succeeding at work experience
- Students loving classes, one travels 2 hours each way just to come
- Many previous students are studying – pathology, childcare, business admin, English
- Survivor being promoted and trusted in her workplace
- Ballerina image sold for $2000
After being held captive by a family for 8 years and forced to work unpaid every day, Cindy* finally found freedom.
She came to the Freedom Hub just last year with dreams of becoming an aged care worker. Her motivation and tenacity immediately identified her as a scholarship candidate. Money donated to the Freedom Hub this year helped fund Cindy’s scholarship. Attending our Survivor School classes she studied; Australian Culture, Confident Communication, Computer Skills, Work Ready Skills, Budgeting, Office Skills, Swimming and Yoga.
Mid year she entered our work experience program and was offered two weeks paid work experience with an employment partner. They liked her so much they offered her a permanent job! Following work experience Cindy started a Certificate III in Individual Support at TAFE. This was a huge step towards achieving her dream.
Last week she graduated and is looking forward to starting work as an aged carer.
Check out Cindy’s interview HERE.
*To protect the identity of our client we have changed the name and used a photo model
to all of you supporting the Freedom Hub in its mission of ending modern slavery in Australia and around the world